Your USB flash drive or memory card folders changed to Application (exe). Its a virus/worm that infected you. This worm will duplicate all your folders and create an executable files with its name(example: my music folder will be duplicated with my music.exe). The original folders will be hidden. This type trouble occurs when you insert your USB storage drive to virus infected computer. To Avoid this problem regular update your antivirus via internet and don’t put your USB storage device on any computer without identifying antivirus status on that computer. I will tell you some ways to avoid this type problem, see bottom of this article for that.
Solution for Folders changed to Aplication .exe on usb drive or memory card:-
1. Install, update your antivirus application. I used AVG free it found virus Worm/Autoit.ANVE (Computer should be virus Free otherwise it will affect again)
2. Right Click on Drive then choose scan With AVG Free, Delete all detected files to virus vault The .exe folder just removed. Now you need to do is show the original folders
3. Go to My Computer then Open Drive h: (my drive name is h:)
4. Go to top menu, Tools > Folder Options. Select View tab, if you have windows 7 then Click on Organise>Folder and Search Options then Click on View as shown Below
5. Mark the “Show hidden files and folders.”
6. Go to Start > Run, type cmd at the OPEN: box, and press OK. This will show the DOS command prompt
7. Using My Computer, view the drive of hidden folders
8. Go to Command Prompt and type this to unhide all folders and files:
attrib h:*.* /d /s -h -r -s
here “h” is the drive where hidden folders resides
How to Avoid Virus from your USB Storage (flash drive, memory card and portable HDD)
- Keep updated your windows Defender or Microsoft Windows Essentials .
- Keep updated your Antivirus software virus database from antivirus server.
- Check your antivirus status, whether it is working or not.
- Before entering your USB device on another users computer check computers antivirus status as mentioned above.
- Regular Scan your Windows Computer with updated virus database.
Keep in mind installing a antivirus doesn’t mean that your computer is virus free. To make your computer virus free, regularly scan your computer with antivirus software. Before scanning check your antivirus virus definition update over internet. If you have Genuine windows then Microsoft provides security software free of cost. You need to update Microsoft Security software regularly and set scheduled full scan on your computer as it remove viruses. See the Images Below with updated definitions on Microsoft Security Essentials, it helped me to avoid changing folders to exe.
So follow above steps to avoid viruses from your computer.